Law enforcement has apprehended 28-year-old Ahmad Khan Rahami in connection with the bombing that occurred in New York on Saturday. Here are 5 facts you need to know.
1. Rahami is a 28 year old naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in Afghanistan on Jan. 23, 1988. His last known address was in Elizabeth, N.J.
2. According to the FBI, “He is about 5′ 6″ tall and weighs approximately 200 pounds. Rahami has brown hair, brown eyes, and brown facial hair.”
3. Rahami was identified via surveillance video near the location of the bomb that exploded in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York, but also another pressure cooker device that did not detonate a few blocks away. Police confirmed Rahami’s identity from the cellphone he left on the pressure cooker device.
4. Gov. Andrew Cuomo stated on CNN Monday morning that he would “not be surprised if we did have a foreign connection to the act.” However, no terrorist groups, including ISIS and Al Qaeda, have claimed a connection. Rahami was apprehended after a shootout with two police officers. One officer was shot in the hand with glass fragments striking his head. The second police officer was shot in the abdomen in his bulletproof vest and is being treated for bullet fragments to the head. The suspect received bullet wounds to his leg, and suffered other minor injures.
5. Rahami’s father owned a restaurant where he worked and, according to the New York Times, “[Rahami] wore Western clothing, hung out on the sidewalk with friends and often slipped his regular customers free food, he said.” The restaurant, which was open 24 hours a day, was the source of neighborhood tensions because neighbors complained of noise, and disturbances, including public urination. Neighbors persuaded the Elizabeth city council to pass an ordinance requiring the restaurant to be closed at 10 PM. The family then sued the city of Elizabeth for discriminating against them because of their Muslim faith. A court ruled against the family and in the city’s favor in 2012. The restaurant has since closed down.