On Tuesday, just after 12 noon, police received a call reporting a shooting at the Uvalde Ranch Apartments in Houston, Texas. When they arrived at the scene, they found 19 year old Kendra Childs who had been fatally shot.
Here are five important facts about this tragedy:
1. According the police, at about 12:15 PM, police received a call reporting a shooting at the Uvalde Ranch Apartments in the 5300 block of South Lake Houston Parkway.
2. Witnesses reported that they saw a newer model black Camaro with standard rims and tinted windows drive through the parking lot of the apartment and shoot multiple rounds at Kendra Childs’ second floor apartment.
3. Kendra was discovered by her boyfriend when he returned home after work. He quickly exited the apartment in order to get help and made the phone call to the police.
4. Kendra Childs was the mother of a 2 year old daughter. Her daughter was not in the apartment at the time of the shooting. Kendra was shot the day before her 20th birthday. Her cousin, Angel Woodward, said “I feel very broken, and it just hurt because she didn’t deserve to go like this. I understand it was her time, but she didn’t have to go like this. She didn’t even make it to her birthday tomorrow.”
5. Kendra was a cashier at Walmart. Woodward described Kendra as “amazing. She lit up the room and was one of a kind. She would do anything for her daughter.” Woodward did not know why Kendra was shot as she did not have an issue with anyone.