Thirteen-year-old Tyree King was shot by a police officer in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday. Here are 5 quick facts you need to know.
1. After reports of an armed robbery, a police officer shot and killed 13-year-old Tyree King. The officer claimed King pointed a gun at him, but King actually was holding a toy BB gun. Unfortunately, this wasn’t discovered until after he had already been shot.
2. The incident comes just under 2 years since 12-year-old Tamir Rice was fatally shot by a police officer.
3. According to NBC News, “Police were called to a report of a group of people — including one armed with a gun — demanding money at 7:42 p.m. ET.”
4. When police officers arrived at the scene, there were three people that matched the descriptions of the suspects. Officers reportedly tried to speak with them, but two of them then ran away. At that point,
“Officers followed the males to the alley … and attempted to take them into custody when one suspect pulled a gun from his waistband,” it added. “One officer shot and struck the suspect multiple times.”
5. The officer that fired the shots that killed King is a nine-year veteran of the force that was recently transferred to the zone where the incident occurred.