Conservative anti-feminist Phyllis Schlafly passed away on Monday. Though many have spoken in support of Schlafly and her brand of conservatism, these 5 quotes speak to the reality of the legacy she leaves behind.
1. “Feminism is doomed to failure because it is based on an attempt to repeal and restructure human nature.”
2. “Sex education classes are like in-home sales parties for abortions.”
3. “Putting women in military combat is the cutting edge of the feminist goal to force us into an androgynous society.”
4. “Sexual harassment on the job is not a problem for virtuous women.”
5. “National Standards was not a narrative of past events but was leftwing revisionism and Political Correctness.”
It almost goes without saying that Phyllis Schlafly’s anti-feminist and ultra-conservative rhetoric continues to resonate with many on the far right to date. Though the height of her political activism was several decades ago, in the time before her death, Schlafly periodically made politically charged public commentary.
In the end, however, Schlafly was against the Equal Rights Amendment, perpetuated sexist stereotypes, and actively worked to hold back women’s rights activism. Though conservatives may romanticize her as a courageous figure, the fact remains: Schlafly’s legacy will not be one of triumph, but one of oppression.
The thoughts and opinions expressed here are solely those of the contributor and do not necessarily reflect the views of Citizen Slant.