As many push for stricter gun laws, it is important to look at the statistics surrounding gun violence in America. Here are 5 chilling facts.
- 48 children and teens are shot in “murders, assaults, suicides & suicide attempts, unintentional shootings, and police intervention.”
- 7 children and teens die as the result of gun violence
2. Every day, 40 children and teens are shot and survive:
- “32 shot in an assault
- 1 survives a suicide attempt
- 8 are shot unintentionally”
3. In 2015, there were 372 mass shootings in the United States. In those shootings, 475 people were killed and 1,870 were wounded.
4. According to BBC, “the number of gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 – the most recent year for comparable statistics – was nearly 30 times that in the UK, at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1.”
5. In 2015, some 13,286 people were killed and 26,819 were injured by firearms in the US, according to the Gun Violence Archive.