Members of the GOP have been speaking out against Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump after audio surfaced of him making lewd comments about making sexual advances on a married woman.
In a statement released on Friday, House Speaker Paul Ryan said that Trump “is no longer attending” a joint event the two had planned in Ryan’s congressional district in Wisconsin.
“I am sickened by what I heard today,” Ryan said.
“Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified. I hope Mr. Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests.”
Senate Majority Leader also expressed his displeasure. In a statement issued on Friday, he called for to express contrition. He even suggested that if the Republican Nominee failed to do so, he would offer cover to senators who disavowed Trump.
“As the father of three daughters, I strongly believe that Trump needs to apologize directly to women and girls everywhere, and take full responsibility for the utter lack of respect for women shown in his comments on that tape,” said Mr. McConnell.
The Republican Conference chairwoman, Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers, also spoke out to criticize Trump, arguing that the comments demonstrated his acceptance of “unwanted sexual advances.”
“It is never appropriate to condone unwanted sexual advances or violence against women,” she said. “Mr. Trump must realize that it has no place in public or private conversations today or in the past.”
Criticism also came from Senators who had been consistently distant from Trump. In a tweet, Senator Mark Kirk, who is seeking re-election in a heavily Democratic states and has already announced his intention to write in a presidential candidate rather than vote for Trump, called Trump “a malignant clown.”
DJT is a malignant clown – unprepared and unfit to be president of the United States.
— Mark Kirk (@SenatorKirk) October 7, 2016
Florida Senator Marco Rubio, who ran a campaign against Trump’s for the Republican Nomination, also took to Twitter to express his thoughts, calling the comments “vulgar” and “impossible to justify”.
Donald's comments were vulgar, egregious & impossible to justify.
No one should ever talk about any woman in those terms, even in private.
— Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) October 8, 2016
Other former rivals that have voiced their opinions include Ted Cruz, who called the comments “disturbing,” and “inappropriate,” as well as Jeb Bush, who felt the gravity of the comments on a personal level.
“As the grandfather of two precious girls, I find that no apology can excuse away Donald Trump’s reprehensible comments degrading women.”
Arizona Senator John McCain, the 2008 GOP presidential nominee, has finally ended his tightrope dance with supporting Trump issuing the following statement on Saturday afternoon:
There are no excuses for Donald Trump’s offensive behavior. Cindy & I will not vote for him. My full stmt: https://t.co/MOw0rx4LSI
— John McCain (@SenJohnMcCain) October 8, 2016