Turkey Mourns as Istanbul Ataturk Airport Attack Death Toll Rises to 42

posted by Breanna Khorrami 0 comments

Late in the evening on Tuesday, June 28, three attackers arrived at the Ataturk Airport in Istanbul and began firing at the terminal entrance. After police returned fire, the gunmen proceeded to blow themselves up. Security footage, as well as social media, show recordings of the first two of three explosions and terrified passengers running. Another recording shows a man dressed in all black running inside the building and then falling after being hit by police gunfire.

Reports later stated that at least 239 people were injured in the blasts and 41 people were killed. As of Wednesday afternoon, the blasts are responsible for a total of 42 fatalities. Of those who lost their lives, 23 were Turkish and 13 were foreign. The nationalities of the remaining 6 are either unknown or have yet to be reported.

“We came right to international departures and saw the man randomly shooting. He was just firing at anyone coming in front of him. He was wearing all black. His face was not masked. I was 50 metres away from him,”

said Paul Roos, 77, a South African tourist on his way back to Cape Town with his wife (Al Jazeera).

The office of Turkish Prime Minister, Binali Yildirim, released a statement declaring that a national day of mourning would be observed out of respect and commemoration for the victims of the attack. At the time, no one had taken responsibility for the attacks, though many, including some prominent world leaders, have suggested that the Islamic State is to blame.

According to Al Jazeera, Prime Minister Yildirim claims that ISIS is now a key suspect in this attack, though they have not officially claimed responsibility. However, as it stands, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack and the attackers, themselves, have not yet been identified. Despite this, President Obama has also publicly suggested that ISIS is responsible for the attacks.


You may also like

Leave a Comment