The Department of Justice has accused three men arrested on Friday of conspiring to bomb a Kansas apartment complex filled with Somali immigrants. The men are allegedly part of a militia group called ‘The Crusaders.’
According to its press release, the Justice Department says that the men, all from Kansas,
“appeared in federal court to face a charge of conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction (explosives), in connection with their plot to detonate bombs at an apartment complex in Garden City, Kansas where Somali immigrants live and worship.”
Here are five important facts about the men and their sinister plot:
1. The government is contending that the men “planned to carry out the attack on November9, the day after Election Day.” According to the criminal complaint, the men communicated using a conference call app about their plans.
The DOJ claims that the three men “were key members of a militia group that referred to itself as the Crusaders. A confidential source attended meetings of the group and provided the FBI with information about the defendants’ activities.”
The criminal complaint further alleges that:
“This is a militia group whose members support and espouse sovereign citizen, anti-government, anti-Muslim, and anti-immigrant extremist beliefs.” The complaint goes on to allege that the government had an informant “who has attended numerous Crusaders meetings where plans were discussed to carry out a violent attack against Muslims (whom the group members refer to as ‘cockroaches’) in southwestern Kansas. These groups meet in person frequently, as often as once per week.”
2. The men allegedly “conducted surveillance to identify potential targets, stockpiled firearms, ammunition and explosive components, and planned to issue a manifesto in conjunction with the planned bombing.”
The apartment complex was “occupied by men, women, and children.” It is also the location of a mosque.
3. The men have been identified as Curtis Allen, Gavin Write, and Patrick Stein. They allegedly “talked about filling four vehicles with explosives and parking them at the four corners of the apartment complex in Garden City,” according to CNN.
Curtis Allen was active on FaceBook. His page is brimming with anti-Muslim rhetoric. He also identified himself as a Trump supporter and has a lengthy post explaining why he supports Mr. Trump. He wrote that he does “not see him as a party member, part of the problem! I do see him as an outsider, bringing a new outlook to the govt.”
Here is Allen’s complete post:
“Fellow Americans, here we sit once again as a divided nation at the onset of one of our most important elections! We gotta see past all the media BS and brain washing! Each and every citizen has the right to vote for who ever they see fit! I, of course want you to vote for the candidate that I support and yes I will try to change your mind, like you do me, and give reasons why! That’s all part of it! But in the end your choice is yours! Over the years, and I have said this many times, the two party process has broken! I do not believe there is truly two different parties. I believe here is a hidden agenda and if anyone will take the time too look this cannot be denied! I personally back Donald Trump because even tho he is running under the republican ticket I do not see him as a party member, part of the problem! I do see him as an outsider, bringing a new outlook I to the govt. I do not think he is part of the hidden agenda that both parties talk about openly now! Time will tell! And if it turns out he has been lying to the American people and he doesn’t do what’s right for the people and this nation then appropriate action will be taken!! What I do know is this. Hillary Clinton cannot allowed to be in office. Her actions as far back as an attorney in Ark. show her as a lying manipulative beast that deserves to be In Prison. There is NO denying this! The last thing we need as a nation is to have her put in office just because she is a woman! All I ask is before casting your vote, get off your butts long enough to do a little research and look into what the person has done in the past, and what they are running on! She is openly running on disarming the American people!! Putting Americans In relearning centers and fema camps! She actually says these things at her rallies! The division between trump and Cruz voters have hurt feelings and caused chaos among the republican voters! All I can ask is to not take it personal, don’t be so offended that you don’t get out and vote! That would be a huge dis service to our nation when we need you the most! Me personally, I would of voted for Cruz if he would of got the nomination because I understand that not voting makes it a shoe in for Clinton. The way our govt is, I’m not sure this hasn’t been the plan all along!! So, with all that being said I am asking for all Americans to look into their candidate!! I am asking that all republicans come together as a nation! Thanks and. God Bless our Great nation once again!!”
4. The government contends that Allen said at a meeting, ““We need to get some signs made up…hundreds of them, kind of like the redneck deal, ‘here’s your sign’ and just put right there on it: I SUPPORT ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, I GO AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION ON A DAILY BASIS, I DO NOT HAVE ANY CARE FOR MY FELLOW CITIZENS IN THE STATE OR IN THE TOWN THAT I REPRESENT…and then for every one of them that we blow the top of their head off we just put that around their neck.”
5. According to the Department of Justice, on October 12, Patrick Stein “met with an undercover FBI employee in rural Finney County, Kansas. After examining and test firing automatic weapons, Stein took the source to see the apartment building that the defendants were targeting in Garden City, Kansas. Stein said he would provide ammonium nitrate for the bomb and contribute $200 to $300 for other materials.”
The Department also alleges that Stein talked with the undercover employee about his co-defendant, Allen, being arrested for domestic violence in Liberal, Kansas the day before. Apparently, he was “concerned that Allen’s girlfriend would give the Liberal Police Department in Kansas information about the defendants’ plans.”
According to the complaint, Stein “at various times yelled at Somali women dressed in traditional grab, calling the ‘f–cking r-ghead b-tches'” and referred to Somalis as ‘cockroaches.’
Stein also alleged said “several times that they needed to eliminate the Somalis. During the surveillance, Stein had with him a pistol, an assault rifle with several magazines, a ballistic vest, and a night vision scope.”
Stein allegedly also stated that he “wanted to just go do something. He said he wanted to get a .22, go over to Garden City, Kansas, start kicking in the doors of the Somali apartments, and kill them one by one.”