On Monday, Melania Trump appeared for her first interview since an ‘Access Hollywood’ recording was leaked wherein her husband made extremely lewd comments, and admitted to conduct that could be criminal.
Speaking with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Mrs. Trump made it obvious that her husband had no intention of ever taking responsibility for his words and conduct. When asked by Cooper about her thoughts when she first saw and heard the recording, Mrs. Trump began by stating that she was at first surprised as she had never heard her husband use the kind of language that he used in the recording.
“that’s why I was surprised, because I said like I don’t know that person that would talk that way, and that he would say that kind of stuff in private.”
She called what Mr. Trump had been engaged in with Access Hollywood’s ‘boy talk,’ implying that the commentary was somehow accepted among men when they are speaking among themselves.
But Mrs. Trump did not stop there. She continued, “he was led on — like egged on — from the host to say dirty and bad stuff.”
The leaked recording contains very explicit language with Mr. Trump doing the vast majority of talking. Billy Bush is not heard asking any questions or seeking any details.
While Mr. Trump has said that he apologizes, he has continuously maintained that the discussion was ‘locker room talk’ and has also said that Bill Clinton has used much worse language on the golf course — a claim for which he has produced no evidence. His ‘apology’ has been roundly criticized, even by his surrogates, who have said that the apology needs to be unqualified and unaccompanied by his commentary regarding the Clintons.
Mrs. Trump’s comments continued along the same lines as her husband’s, except that for the first time, Mrs. Trump has asserted that essentially her husband bears little if any responsibility as it is Billy Bush’s fault that Trump spoke in such terms. It remains to be seen whether the American public agrees with Mrs. Trump’s assertion.