Just days after the presidential election where many women watched in horror as Donald Trump amassed enough electoral votes to win, women across the country are coming together to organize a million women march during the weekend that Trump is set to be take the oath of office.
Bob Bland, a New York based organizer told Reuters, “A lot of women got up the second day with the same idea.”
There are about 41,000 people RSVP’d on Facebook as of Saturday morning. That number is up from the 16,000 that had been reported just hours before.
During the campaign, Donald Trump launched what many believe was an all out attack on opponents, and women as a whole, insulting many women based on their looks, implying that a female journalist was on her period, and was surrounded by surrogates making sexist remarks with regularity. In early October, a leaked ‘Access Hollywood’ tape contained footage of Trump making extremely lewd comments and bragging about what would amount to sexual assault.
That was followed by some one dozen women who stepped forward to tell their experiences of being subjected to unwanted sexual advances by Trump at various times during the past decades. Trump has denied all of the allegations.
“We need to be working together in a coherent, supportive way over the next four years, to activate more women into leadership positions, to be more politically active,” Bland said. “We cannot allow ourselves to give up, put our heads down and not hold this administration accountable for any violation of human rights or women’s rights.”
The march is being organized state by state said Fontaine Pearson, a coordinator in Memphis, Tennessee. “We have a huge groundswell of women. This is growing faster than anyone expected.”
The march is planned for January 21, the day after the inauguration at Washington D.C.’s Lincoln Memorial, the site of the famous civil rights march in 1963 when Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech, one of the most famous speeches in American history.