In light of National Poetry Day, here are seven quotes from seven famous, yet entirely timeless poets whose work has touched the lives of many.
1. “These woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.” – Robert Frost
2. “Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.” – Emily Dickinson
3. “Re-examine all that you have been told… dismiss that which insults your soul.” – Walt Whitman
4. “All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.” – Edgar Allen Poe
5. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – Maya Angelou
6. “I’ve known rivers: I’ve known rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow of human blood in human veins. My soul has grown deep like the rivers.” – Langston Hughes
7. “Humanity I love you because when you’re hard up you pawn your intelligence to buy a drink.” – E.E. Cummings