California Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein spoke to a group of protesters in Los Angeles on Friday, responding to questions about ousting President Trump from the presidency.
The California Democrat said that the President is “going to get himself out,” in amateur video capturing the encounter.
Feistein was taking questions from the group on a number of subjects when one protester said that “we know that he is breaking laws every day” and “he has obvious dealings with Russia.”
“There’s so many things that he’s doing that are unconstitutional. How are we going to get him out?” the protester asked.
“I think he’s going to get himself out,” the Senator responded, pointing to the various conflicts of interest regarding his business entanglements. However, the Senator did not predict or suggest that the President will be impeached.
“I can’t answer that right now,” she said later when another protester asked whether Trump had committed any impeachable offenses.
The longtime Senator, who is the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, mentioned recent travel by Trump’s two eldest sons — Donald, Jr. and Eric — who have taken the day to day management of the Trump Organization, though the President continues to keep his ownership interest in the business. The duo traveled to Dubai last month in order to open a new golf club there.
“I think sending sons to another country to make a financial deal for his company and then have that covered with government expenses, I believe those government expenses should not be allowed,” the Senator said.
She also suggested that the President’s conflicts of interest may be a violation of the U.S. Constitution’s ’emoluments clause’ which prohibits federal officials from accepting payments from foreign governments.
In a news conference in mid-January, just before he took the oath of office, Trump announced that he was resigning from all executive positions from his business empire. However, he would retain his ownership interest.
The move was immediately criticized by a broad spectrum of ethics experts, including the Director of the Office of Government Ethics, who called Trump’s plan “wholly inadequate” and “meaningless” from a conflict of interest perspective.
“The plan the President-elect has announced doesn’t meet the standards that the best of his nominees are meeting and that every president in the last four decades has met,” OGE Director Walter Shaub said, adding “Stepping back from running his business is meaningless from a conflict of interest perspective.”
Watch the clip posted by Javier Panzar of the L.A. Times here:
— Javier Panzar (@jpanzar) March 17, 2017